Friday 22 February 2013 in ,

Wednesday’s Comics: 20th February 2013

Avengers 6 = ★★★✩✩
I want to like this comic more than I do. I like Adam Kubert's art a lot. It's just that I'm finding the story unengaging (even the bizarre Superior Spider-man scene). I'll give it two more issues before I drop. 



Captain America 4 = ★★★★✩ 
It's all very Kirby-esque. I reckon regular Cap readers are aghast at what Remender's doing with the character. The 1930s flashbacks work really effectively.





Daredevil 23 = ★★★✩✩
A tear-jerker of an issue. Samnee's art is first class as usual.






Nova 1 = ★★★★★ 
Unexpectedly this is a fantastic first issue. A new Nova plus... Rocket Racoon. Awesome.





The Superior Spider-man = ★★★★★
Probably the most enjoyable comic this week. Doc Ock is still Peter Parker (and seems to be doing a much better job). Camuncoli draws Ock-Peter brilliantly. Plus the cliff-hanger is such a hook.




Thor: God of Thunder 5 = ★★★★★ 
This title continues to be flawless. The "god butcher" gets a name. Thor teams up with... himself. 





Action Comics 17 = ★★★✩✩
It's all starting to make sense. All the weird jumping about over the last year and a half has been caused by Superman being attacked outside of time. The concept is, however, better than the execution.




Batwoman 17 = ★★★✩✩
Williams' art is always beautiful to look at (and probably the only reason I pick up this comic). The storytelling continues to be dull. The ending certainly ramps up my interest. 





Green Lantern 17 = ★★★✩✩
Volthoon (remember him? I certainly didn't) is cast as the baddie in the "Wrath of the First Lanterns". I hate to admit it but I'm actually starting to like the Simon Baz character.





Justice League 17 = ★★★✩✩ 
The "Throne of Atlantis" storyline ends here. It's a whole lot of shouting and fighting and thin storytelling. Ivan Reis' artwork lifts this slightly (though I'm not liking the inking at all).




Justice League of America 1 = ★★★✩✩
There's just enough going for this title to keep me interested. Essentially it's a "roundup" issue where the team (to take out the Justice League) is formed. Martian Manhunter's appearance is most welcome. 




Legion of Super-heroes 17 = ★★★★✩
This is my favourite issue of the run. I think it's all down to Keith Giffen's art: immediately there's a sense of classic Legion. (It's also another Kirby-esque comic - especially the spread of the promethean giants).




Wonder Woman 17 = ★★★✩✩
It keeps on going. I have the impression this will read much better as a trade than in single issues. Diana is still searching for the baby.

Leave a Reply

Be Nice!