Saturday 8 June 2013 in , , ,

Man of Steel - Countdown

Friday 14th June is the opening of the new Superman movie, Man of Steel, directed by Zack Synder. I've already booked my ticket for an opening day performance and I'm pretty hyped about seeing it. I've always been a fan of Superman right back to my childhood: I can remember going to see the epic Richard Donner Superman the Movie in 1978 and watching the old George Reeves tv episodes on Saturday mornings. It may be that Superman the Movie was responsible for my life-long love of comic books. Certainly, it was randomly picking up the hardback version of Brainiac by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank in 2009 that got me back into reading comics in a big way. Plus I love Synder's films for their powerful visual sense.

So, to get myself ready for the movie, I'm going to revisit my favourite Superman stories and blog about them every day up until next Friday. I've had to be selective - as there are tons of Superman stories and issues I could re-read this week. Quite often, the best Superman stories for me have been collaborations between tremendously engaging writers and amazing artwork - for its success a Superman adventure needs to look good and read good (other heroes - like Batman can seem to get away with not requiring both). I also suspect that if the story of the Man of Steel isn't up to the quality of the cinematography then the movie will disappoint (shades of Superman Returns).

The Showdown Between Superman and Luthor (1963, from Superman #164 reprinted in Showcase Presents Superman vol. 4)

For me, this is a classic Silver Age story where Luthor and Superman go one-on-one in a situation where Superman has no powers. It's the sort of silliness that certainly won't appear in the new movie, but was at the heart of the 70s cinematic adventures.

The Man of Steel (1986)

John Byrne's divisive re-boot of Superman for the Eighties. This was one of the last things I read when I was into comics as a kid. I was a massive Byrne fan - particularly because of his work on Alpha Flight. I still consider him to be among the greatest of comic book artists.

Superman for Tomorrow (2004, from Superman #204-215)


Jim Lee. Drawing. Superman. That is all!



All-star Superman (2006)

Morrison and Quitely. This has to be among my favourite of Superman stories. It's a love letter to Silver Age Superman adventures by Morrison plus anything drawn by Quitely is impossible to resist.



Superman for All Seasons (1998)

Beautiful and touching, this is a short, evocative take on a "traditional" Superman. It's breathtaking to look at and Loeb's use of each issue being told from a different narrative voice I remember working really well when I originally read it.



Superman the Movie (1978)

Although I prefer the sequel, with Terrance Stamp as General Zod, this film stood out - along with Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark - as one of my childhood favourites. I've not seen it for a number of years now so I'm looking forward to watching it before Man of Steel. Christopher Reeves manages to wear the costume so he looked like he stepped out the pages of a comic book (just look at the pop colouring) but made it believable. "You'll believe a man can fiy!" And I did.








Leave a Reply

Be Nice!